Food Poisoning At The Pumpkin Patch

October 29, 2012

If you haven’t taken the kids to the pumpkin patch, here’s a tip: make sure you do plenty of hand washing afterword. Many pumpkin patches include other attractions like bouncy castles, hay rides, and petting zoos. Unfortunately, the animals in the petting zoo can be a source of e. coli and other types of food poisoning, so hand washing is essential to making sure a pumpkin is all you bring home… even if you skip the petting zoo.

Food poisoning symptoms can vary from a mild stomach ache to a stint in the hospital because you need an IV. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are all food poisoning symptoms. Headaches, and lack of tears or sweat can be a sign of dehydration. Dehydration is one of the most severe food poisoning symptoms, and the one that often leads to hospitalization (and the IV).

Drink plenty of water as soon as you suspect you may have food poisoning. It can help flush the system, plus will ensure proper hydration! If you’ve had lasting food poisoning symptoms, try adding a pinch of salt to the water to help your absorption.

Probiotics, as found in yogurt, may help combat the bad bacteria that causes food poisoning. Eating a serving (or taking a probiotic supplement) everyday can helped strengthen your gut immunity, but it might still help even after the first signs of food poisoning symptoms.

Did you visit the pumpkin patch this year?

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: